Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Review: The Cheerleader

The Cheerleader
The Cheerleader by Caroline B. Cooney

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



I've decided to read Vampire novels for one month, The Cheerleader started the month. This story revolves around Althea a loner high school girl with no friends, who just wants to be popular. Go figure she lives with, you guessed it a vampire, oddly enough you never hear of parents or siblings. The vampire offers to give Althea the chance to be popular in exchange for her to sacrifice people to him. The people will only be tired a little bit or so he says, with this in mind she agrees and so the story begins.

I don't want to spoil anything for the readers so my thoughts on this book and why it's worth 3 stars. It was a short read, enjoyable, I didn't quite like Althea. She honestly reminded me of my high school life, but that isn't why I didn't like her. It's the fact she became a loner and instead of going out and trying to find a friend, she wanted to skip all the little guys and go strait to the popular group. I was a loner in high school but, I dealt with it, my friends were all graduated, or from a different school with the exception of 1.

I've got to say though I love the vampire, the fact that Caroline B. Cooney kept on repeating that the vampire had "mushroom colored skin" annoyed me a little, after all there's many different kinds some are red, but I know what she meant (those white ones that have a tint of gray). I miss vampires with capes, who kept to the dark, and had a malicious feel to them, this book had that. Every vampire novel the vampire has a certain reason how\why they are strong or where they get their strengths from, now in this novel I found it sort of cheesy (won't say how\what don't want to spoil). It's not that I've read this in another vampire novel, it's just cheesy non-vampire twist, so I guess it's kay.

The reason I gave it 3 stars is because of the vampire really, I just really liked him. I know I should go through plots, writing styles, main characters, and yaddy yaddy yaddaa. But honestly I find the vampire made the book and it was an enjoyable read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment